A Look at WV Colleges

The most well-known college in West Virginia is West Virginia University. WVU educates more than 26,000 undergraduates and graduates on the Morgantown campus each year. As the largest university in the state of West Virginia, they still find ways to offer students exciting opportunities outside of the classroom. There are over 450 student organizations and clubs, with dozens of recreational activities that students can access the 17,000 square foot recreation center.

On the opposite end of the map is Marshall University. MU educates more than 13,000 undergraduates, graduates and online students each year. Undergraduates can choose from more than 60 majors while graduates have double that. Marshall offers lots of benefits, for example, a Merit-based Scholarship, exclusive living and learning communities. MU accepts GED, TASC and HiSET scores to make MU a good choice for students who do not have a high school diploma.

The last college of note is Shepherd University. Shepherd is located in the eastern panhandle, near Martinsburg. Shepherd educates more than 4,000 undergraduates, graduates and dual-enrollment students each year. They choose 40 academically gifted students to be in the honors program where they do rigorous curriculum with many seminars and capstone requirements.They offer support services like TRiO, where they provide first-generation and economically disadvantaged students free tutoring and mentoring.